Regardless of where you currently are and how you got here, look for a way forward.
The questions to ask:
- Where do we go from here?
- How do we fix or improve this?
- How can we provide more value?
- Where do we want to be a year from now?
Questions to avoid:
- How is it possible that we’re in this situation?
- Why can’t things be different?
- Shouldn’t somebody do something to prevent this?
- Is this really the place where we want to be?
One set of questions is looking ahead, while the second one concentrates on the past. And the past can’t be changed, making these questions useless, unproductive, and even harmful.
Focus on the next step and make your decisions only with the future in mind.
PS. Note that I’m not talking about introspection here, which is incredibly useful, as it allows you to avoid mistakes in the future.